Today the NBA announced the official list of teams that will participate in the 2018 season of the newly formed eSports league, the NBA 2K eLeague. 17 of the 30 NBA teams will field a team in the first season of the NBA 2K eLeague.
NBA 2K eLeague 2018 Teams
- Boston Celtics
- Cleveland Cavaliers
- Dallas Mavericks
- Detroit Pistons
- Golden State Warriors
- Indiana Pacers
- Memphis Grizzlies
- Miami Heat
- Milwaukee Bucks
- New York Knicks
- Orlando Magic
- Philadelphia 76ers
- Portland Trail Blazers
- Sacramento Kings
- Toronto Raptors
- Utah Jazz
With excited comments from team owners and the NBA it is clear that there is more support for the new eSports league than was anticipated. In February the NBA expected around 12 teams to participate. Additionally, the NASDAQ just added Take Two Interactive (TTWO) to a watch list citing the creation of the new eSports league.
Most of the specifics regarding draft process, selection process, salaries, scheudules, etc. remain unclear at this point but there have been a few hints released by the NBA.
The Official Tweet From The NBA Announcing the List of Teams Participating in the 2018 NBA 2K eLeague
— NBA (@NBA) May 4, 2017
What we know about the NBA 2K eLeague
- We know that there will be a draft similar to the current NBA draft.
- The eSports athletes will be competing in the current iteration (NBA 2K18) of the very popular video game franchise NBA 2K.
- These new NBA 2K eLeague teams will be owned and managed by the actual NBA franchises.
- We know that Brendan Donohue will be the NBA 2K eLeague managing director.
- We know the list of 17 teams participating (see above list).
- The launch date for the NBA 2K eLeague is sometime in 2018.